[blindlaw] reading scanned PDF's

Patrick H Stiehm stiehm.law at juno.com
Wed Oct 27 12:35:00 UTC 2010

If you have Adobe Acrobat there is away to convert an image to a true
PDF, that JAWS should be able tp read.  I can't tell you how to do it but
Adobe customer support should be able to help.

Stiehm Law Office
Alexandria, Virginia
703-360-1089 (Voice)
703-935-8266 (Fax)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:23:35 -0700 (PDT) Mike Gilmore
<m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com> writes:
> I was wondering if anyone has come across my problem. Sometimes,
> documents are scanned into a PDF. When they are open, JAWS says that
> it's an empty document because, to JAWS, the scanned document is an
> image and therefore is treated as if it doesn't exist. Short of
> printing out the entire document (which can be very time-consuming
> and wasteful of paper if the document is rather long), is there any
> way to work around this problem? I thought of copying  and pasting
> the entire document into a Word document so JAWS can read it. This
> works except when the PDF has been made secure and therefore cannot
> be copied and pasted.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

> for blindlaw: