[blindlaw] wireless head phone for courtroom

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 20 19:59:29 UTC 2010

I have been using blue tooth headset ear pieces to do my work for the past 5
years. Almost all laptops these days  are blue tooth compatible, and I find
them to be pretty useful.
I have used them extensively  in administrative hearings and in courts.
About the only draw back  to using them is that, when you first start using
them, your ear might take a while to get used to wearing it. But they all
come with volume controls on them and you can set them up to be secure
connections.
This way, my laptop is my talking file,  and all I really have to worry
about is keeping any evidence exhibits in hard copy straight, doing quick
search prep for my computer file, and in general, tryng to make sure nobody
from the other table can glance over at what is on my laptop screen.
  Oh yes, one more thing, I have never found a blue tooth ear piece that
does not "blink". Not that it is distratcing, but one needs to know that
what you have in your ear does "flash".
No, that does not make you a flasher.
 OH yes, one other thing, The little batterey in the ear piece is not
constant. Some will last 4 hours, some six hours and others 8 hours. It all
depends on how much you are willing to spend on one.
One last thing - sales people in computer stores all tell you that all you
need to do is to charge up a blue tooth ear piece and your computer will
recognize it.  Well, In the 5 years I've been using them, I have never once
been able to get a laptop to do that.
I've used two blue tooth ear pieces, I still have both of them, and have
undergone two computer crashes at home and two at the officve. Each time it
was an inaccessible re-configuration deal with someone sighted to get it
installed properly again.
Once installed, I have found that JAWS works pretty well with them.
IF you want to know any more, contact me off list at:
rumpole at roadrunner.com
Hope that helps.