[blindlaw] dumb question

dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 2 01:03:09 UTC 2011

esquire: In English law, a title of dignity next above gentleman, and below
knight.  Also, a title of office given to sheriffs, sergeants and barristers
at law, justices of the peace, and others.  Black's Law Dictionary, 4th
Edition

As defined above, "esquire" is a title of dignity sometimes used by
attorneys as if bestowed by the English throne.  In fact, there is a myth
that runs in the so-called "patriot" circles that the word "bar", as in
American Bar or State Bar, is an acronym meaning British Accreditation
Registry.  Further, the myth claims that all lawyers are subjects of the
English throne by reason of being admitted to the bar.  This, however, is
total mythology.

Truth is that esquire is a mere vestige of days past; a fancy sounding
designation to make an attorney feel more important than he/she really is.