[blindlaw] Attending law school via distance learning

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 5 07:55:17 UTC 2011

I am aware of several law schools in California that offer distance learning
and on line degrees. There are many requirements both for the schools and
students that enroll in them to insure that students are receiving a quality
legal education. While distance learning is obviously not for everyone there
are advantages for many nontraditional students. My rationale for
considering an on line law school is that I already have worked in the legal
field for many years and  have gained a large amount of legal experience. My
possible interest in obtaining a J.D. degree is to further and extend what I
have been doing in the legal field. The cost of an on line law school is
considerably less than a traditional program. On line $15,000 to complete
traditional $50,000 plus to complete. At my age being in my mid 50's I am
not willing to incur the personal debt required to attend a traditional law
school whereas I would be inclined to incur the debt and could cover it with
present income to attend an on line law school. With changes occurring in
the legal profession today it is necessary for it to be flexible as to how
people attain their legal training. While it is not widely done it is still
possible for a person to take the California bar exam having worked under
the tutelage of a lawyer in good standing for a certain period of time.
Occasionally, someone will still do this.
On the other hand there are always drawbacks to distance learning those
being the lack of personal interaction that occurs while participating in a
conventional setting. When in graduate school and paralegal school I found
this to be one of the strong points of traditional learning. I interviewed
with one of the on line schools here in California as a friend who is
sighted is considering attending it. I found this particular school to be
receptive to my attending and the staff that I met with told me that they
have a few blind students attending their program and they have made
attempts to make sure that their on line content is accessible. While this
is late I hope this helps.
Chuck Krugman, M.S.W., Paralegal
1237 P Street
Fresno ca 93721