[blindlaw] Barrier Free Walkway

brdavis84 at cox.net brdavis84 at cox.net
Wed Aug 10 12:31:08 UTC 2011

For many years, I have walked my best friend Tig where I was instructed.  Even though Tig is not a guide dog" she is my family.  I am constantly having to deal with somebody parking their car over the curb.  So I try to go to the other end of the car.  Sometimes, another car is parked at that end of the long one.  I can't go the normal route I am used to.  Others can see; I am blind.  Do I have any rights as a blind person to have a "barrier free" walkway to walk Tig?  The vopa group didn't even respond when I contacted them.  They are advocates for the blind.  I question that.  When the landlord saw that I had written vopa, they tried to make me change the route that I have known for many years to one farther away.  it is not good to walk that far at night.  I also had to deal with a high pile of mulch, shovels, rakes, etc. in that area.  The landscapers, grounds keeper, and the maintenance supervisor were aware of my route.  What rights do I have to request a barrier free walkway where I live?  Thanks for listening.  Tig is there for me when nobody else is.  I need her.  My best friend is dating someone.  I don't get out much.

Betty Davis