[blindlaw] Proposal

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/OSORA) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Wed Aug 24 13:44:35 UTC 2011

Greetings:

Providing a missive to spark discussion about a potential on-going forum for the disability rights movement is the purpose of my writing.

As my contribution to the disability rights movement, I would propose an annual debate or an annual facilitated                 dialogue, perhaps as part of the annual symposium of the N.F.B., on some issue.

I have thought initially it would be interesting to have an annual debate between a leading figure of A.C.B. and the N.F.B.

Having an annual debate between the two organizations might still be helpful. I do believe that, having an even broader focus, would be useful.

As an alternative approach, having a facilitated dialogue on disability law and policy with panelists being comprised of Disability Rights Organizations (e.g. the N.F.B.) and other stakeholders, such as the business community, would be helpful.

This is a kind of event and forum, intended at creating and fostering discussion, that I, a dispute resolution professional, would be willing to lead. Indeed. This year, a focus of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section and its board on which I am serving of the Maryland State Bar Association is fostering, through facilitation and related tools, public dialogue. I believe that the agenda of the Section is laudable. Fostering dialogue, even among leaders within the disability rights movement and also among the leaders of the disability rights movement and outside stakeholders, is something to be sought. I would welcome any comments or suggestions.

                Sincerely,
Gary C. Norman, L.L.M.