[blindlaw] Proposal

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Wed Aug 24 16:14:36 UTC 2011

I would recommend against pitting disability related organizations against
each other in a debate.  That approach would serve only to highlight
differences and keep "us" appearring to be fighting among ourselves.
Such a debate among panelists made up of individuals in, for example, the
blindness community and nonprofit community - most of whom provide services,
might be interesting. But I'd only suggest such an action if there is a
stipulation that remedies to identified problems be instituted within a
specific time frame.
The same type of forum could be used for the deaf and hard of hearing
community, etc, etc. to identify change that "we" see as being needed, not
what nondisabled service providers feel "we" need.
Right now, the required majority of disabled participants on boards for such
organizations as ILC, SILC etc, etc puts these ideas out on the floor for
discussion, and nothing ever gets done about them after annual meetings.
I've spoken with many, many individuals with a disability over the past 24
years who have said the same thing, more or less, in terms of varying
degrees of publicaly acceptable language.
One gentleman who has been disabled for more than 40  years put it best when
he said:
"We've heard it all before. From now on, no more talk unless there is a
promise of action attached to the talk. I've had it with "we'll take it
under consideration" as a response".
I've been practicing law in the disability field for many years, and I know
the rules and regulations that atach to the disability field. Truth be told,
that gentleman has a valid point. Just look at the record of change in
things.
Speaking strictly for myself, I'd like to see the jobs issue for all
individuals with a disability addressed in a truly meaningful way with
accountability for ongoing lack-luster performance by those who earn a
living being such providers.
If you want a debate that will generate instant publicity, try the jobs
debate with a promise of jobs linked to it. One for the blindness community
withy the private sector and governmental HR people involved, another one
for the Deaf and hard of hearing community, one for those with mobility
challenges -- that sort of approach.
I promise you, that will highlight the similarities between disability
related organizations rather than differences.

These opinions are only mine, and are not presented as anything other than
one man's view.