[blindlaw] {Disarmed} Issues Related To Forthcoming Storm And Assistance Dogs

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/OSORA) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Fri Aug 26 12:36:31 UTC 2011

Greetings:

Emergency Assistance

Thanks to Guide Dog Users, Inc. for creating this fund.

The Maryland Area Guide Dog Users, Inc. did prove to be a pioneer in creating this kind of fund many years ago, i.e. we created a fund for emergency medical care related expenses.

For residents of Maryland, please contact the Sheehan who are copied or included above or Vanessa who is also copied or included above for more information.

Unfortunately, this fund still has not been expanded beyond just members of MAGDU; however, I do hope that, for humanitarian purposes, NAGDU members will be considered as well. That being said, the financial capitalization of the fund is still low.

Be Safe, Prepare

Residents of the MidAtlantic region should start preparing today, perhaps have started preparing yesterday, to have the ability to care for your guide dog for three days, i.e. food, water, etc. Supplies should be organized and be ready to be taken with you in the circumstance there is an evacuation, i.e. a "to-go kit".

Civil Rights

Presuming that I am squared away, then assistance dog handlers in the MidAtlantic region can telephone me should they encounter access issues at shelters. As long as my own family and I are safe, I am pleased to be of assistance via telephone with you and the shelter. To the extent there are access rights for trainers of assistance dogs or the puppy raisers of guide dogs, that is determined under state law and on a state-by-state basis. Be safe.

Sincerely,
Gary C. Norman, L.L.M.