[blindlaw] reading power point slides

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 9 16:16:01 UTC 2011

Yes there is a way to read Power Point slides with Jaws -- I give
presentations with PPT all the time and it works.
In general, if you tap the F5 key, that will begin the slide show, and each
time you tap the spacebar it should take you to the next slide.
When a slide is open, you should be able to read the text on the screen
using the standard JAWS navigation keys.
Having said this, if there are pictures in the slide, or if someone got a
bit carried away using tyext boxes, you may have a bit of a problem reading
them.
Another way to read what is in the slides is to simply pull the slide show
up, but do not "start it" - arrow to the slide you want to read, and then
tap the enter key - this will open the slide up for editing. Don't edit
anything, while you are in it, but you can now use the Keys to read what is
in the slide.
Caution - the version of Power point you use may have different ways to
access the slides, so you may need to adjust what you do according to what
you find on the screen That is the "hidden treasure" factor.