[blindlaw] Private firms/Billable Hours

Nora Devine devinenora at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:12:23 UTC 2011

Hi Kendrick,

I am a 2L student and I have been told the same thing many times - i.e. I
would not be as efficient as others and thus my time would not be worth as
much as fully sighted attorneys'. Career counselors have told me the
government's schedule A hiring is my only chance of getting a job in the
legal field.

I don't believe my vision should prevent me from working as an attorney in a
private firm, but I often wonder how practicing attorneys with vision
issues, or any issue that is seen as making them "less efficient," make it
outside working as a solo-practitioner or for the government.

Thanks so much,

Best Regards,

Nora Devine
Juris Doctor Candidate 2012
University of San Francisco School of Law
Tel: 510-508-4209
devinenora at gmail.com