[blindlaw] LSAT preparation

Johnston withat at msn.com
Tue Feb 22 16:35:01 UTC 2011

Hi Tanya,

I used two sources.  1. Kaplan over-the-counter text.  I used a readr to
help me with it.  2. A Kaplan private tutor.  It was spendy (over a thousand
dollars for the time package I chose), but without it I wouldn't have earned
a score that would have given me admission.  The tutoring package included
the same texts that come with their classroom classes, which are very
helpful: hundreds or even thousands of questions from former LSATs.  After
not too much effort they provided me the texts in PDF format.  The tutor
came to my house, which was very helpful.  It included the online lectures
but they are in flash, so almost useless with a screen reader.

The other difference-maker was hiring a company named Admissions
Consultants.  Give their website a look.  It is another expensive company,
but their consultants are former admissions workers- unlike the people at
Kaplan.  Mine was the former Dean of Admissions at the U of Penn Law School
(Ivy League).

You'll find that dealing with LSAC and their accomodations office will be a
bigger chore than prepping for the exam itself.  They have been sued by the
NFB and I think the ACB.  A California attorney was suing on behalf of a law
student or LS applicant a couple years ago; I'm not sure the status of that.

Good luck.  Give me a mail off list if you have any questions.

Jay
jayjohnston at lclark.edu