[blindlaw] calling all law students and prelaw students!

Deepa Goraya deepa.goraya at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 02:34:10 UTC 2011

Hi everyone!

I wanted to inform all of you law students or those of you who are thinking about going to law school soon to come to the National Association of Law Students with Disabilities conference at Golden Gate University in San Francisco! The conference will be from January 21st through the 23rd, Friday through Sunday. You can make reservations at nearby hotels, including the Club Quarters. You can register and get more info about the conference at www.nalswd.org and click on Conference.

Info about the National Association of Law Students with Disabilities:

NALSWD is a coalition of law students dedicated to disability advocacy and the achievement of equal access, inclusion, diversity, and non-discrimination in legal education and the legal profession. Our goal is to help individuals with disabilities achieve their potential by ensuring they receive the accommodations and cultivate the skills they need to be successful members of the legal bar.

NALSWD was founded in 2007 as an affiliate organization under the ABA Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities and is currently in the process of becoming an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.  We have received broad-based support from both law firms and disability organizations across the country.

However, despite our strong professional backing, we are struggling to reach the many students with disabilities who attend law school. Where law students in any number of affinity groups have organizations that they can turn to in times of need, many law students with disabilities struggle to find a community of students who are like them. NALSWD was formed to facilitate a sustained community for law students with disabilities to seek support and professional advice as they navigate law school and the legal profession.

visit our website at www.nalswd.org, to explore opportunities to get involved with NALSWD, join the e-mail listserv, find information about scholarships and other resources, and learn about upcoming events and career opportunities. We invite students to look at our Publications page which contains our newly launched Best Practices Guide for Law Schools and many other helpful materials. Get involved right away by completing our online registration form at http://www.nalswd.org/membershipform.php.

Deepa