[blindlaw] Voc. Rehab

Josh Crunkleton joshcrunkleton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 23:42:39 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I have a question about Voc. Rehab.

My name is Josh. I am an Arkansas resident and recently graduated from the Louisiana Center for the Blind.I have decided I would like to get my master's degree in O/M at Louisiana Tech (to obtain my NOMC). There is a master's program O/M in Arkansas, but it is an AER program and it is a completely different master's degree.

Needless to say, my agency is refusing to cover any out of state expenses for me to attend Louisiana because, they say, my decision is merely a matter of preference.  They cite their in-state preference policy as the basis for their decision.

They have been very uncooperative with me as I have sought to further understand this policy. I have tried to explain that the two O/M programs are not at all comparable and that if I could obtain my NOMC in Arkansas I certainly would. I have also pointed out that not one blind person has successfully completed the program in Arkansas because it is not geared toward blind individuals. I have tried to explain that the program in Louisiana is designed to teach the non-visual techniques of cane instruction.

I have read through the RSA and it appears to me that their refusal to fund me fully for Louisiana is not in concert with the tone and language of the RSA regulations. I have been told that I am ungrateful and I have been told that I am causing tension. Further, I am being told that I cannot specify certifications (NOMC) in my IPE. All and all, the agency has been very obtuse with regard to this issue and have refused to listen to me.

Any advice? At this point, I am so indignant that I want to dig my feet in until it changes. There are lots of people who are learning about Louisiana Tech and who are interested in becoming cane travel instructors. Many of them would be discouraged by the agency refusing to pay out of state costs.  I would like to see this change, not only for me, but for anyone else who follows in years to come.