[blindlaw] Notetakers

Denise Avant dravant at ameritech.net
Tue Jul 19 01:24:48 UTC 2011

hi,
it will of course depend on your budget or if your state agency will pay the cost of a notetaker
the i-devices are relatively new and i have heard of students using the ipad as a notetaker device with or without Braille.
as for the notetakers, you have the pacmate, braillenote apex and braillesense in either 18 or 32 cells. now there is even a smaller notetaker called the Braillesense onhand, which is very small and has 18 cells.
before getting one of these, i would urge you to look at them yourself and decide what you like.
if your state is paying for it, try if you can to not let them make your decision.
you have started well by asking others what they use.
i am a long way from being a law student, but use the Braillenote apex in my job.
it does not read adobe files, but the pacmate and braillesense products do. a lot of legal material comes in adobe form. so that is a consideration for you.
if you are seriously thinking of the i-device as a notetaker, i would urge you to also join the viphone list or one of the other list, and you can get even more responses on the apple products as notetakers.