[blindlaw] lack of accessible student loan info

Mark BurningHawk stone_troll at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 2 14:51:20 UTC 2011

Hello:

For as long as I have had a government student loan, I have faced the problem of inaccessibility when requesting deferment documents and other paperwork.  They insist on sending me paperwork, and their on-line documents are only available in PDF, as is the federal government's way.

Which brings me to my question:  Based on the recent decision forcing the SSA to provide its documents in accessible format, can I use that to force the government student loan people to make my paperwork accessible to me?

The fact is, I live alone and in a rural area, and there aren't any sighted people nearby that I feel comfortable with, that I'd want going through my mail, much less knowing my social security number or financial information, yet due to the inaccessible format of the documents I need to fill out to keep my account in good standing, I am forced to allow others privy to this information.  Often my loan has been delinquent because of delays which came about due to my inability to find someone who could help me fill these documents out.  My credit score and other such record have been hurt over the long term by this situation.

Any ideas whether this decision is applicable across these lines?
Thanks.

Mark BurningHawk
Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
Home:  Http://MarkBurningHawk.net/