[blindlaw] Blind person as a witness question

Daniel K. Beitz dbeitz at wiennergould.com
Fri Jun 10 13:51:44 UTC 2011

Your friend will need a laptop with his documents scanned and OCR'd into MS
word.  I recommend a single earphone.  The other alternative is that he has
the evidence put into Braille, but I don't know how his Braille skills are
or whether this would be worth the cost.  I have tried many cases using a
laptop with window-eyes, and it works well.  Obviously, jaws would work too.
An apple might even work better, as good as they have gotten lately.  I can
read Braille, but its just way too slow and cumbersome for the courtroom in
my opinion, but others may disagree.  Getting used to an earphone in one ear
and listening to what is going on around you is certainly a learned skill.

Daniel K. Beitz
Wienner & Gould, P.C.
950 University Dr., Ste. 350
Rochester, MI  48307
Phone:  (248) 841-9405
Fax:  (248) 652-2729
dbeitz at wiennergould.com

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email messages
attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution or use of any
of the information contained herein or attached to this email is strictly
prohibited.  Should you receive this communication in error, please notify
us immediately by replying to the sender of this email or by telephoning us
at (248) 841-9400.