[blindlaw] attention criminal lawyers who work in courts

Dittman, Robert rdittman at stmarytx.edu
Tue Jun 21 18:12:57 UTC 2011

RJ,

I am guessing you are beginning your adventure to become a lawyer, and are asking for information related to practicing with blindness.

If I may, let me address your questions from the prospective of a blind law student, and a newly admitted student attorney (Texas has an associate membership in its bar for law students who are authorized to practice as the attorney of record under the direct supervision of a fully licensed attorney.)

First, do you have an undergrad degree from a four year university? This may be a requirement in your state if you are not in Texas, and I do know it is a requirement for Texas to enter law school.  If memory serves me correctly, I believe it is a requirement for all ABA accredited law schools.

Secondly, you will need to register with the Law School Admissions Counsel (www.lsac.org).  This will start the process of taking the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), and will also begin your process for applying to law school.  The service will collect all applications to your schools, collect the letters of reference, and academic transcripts. They will also begin to document your requests for accommodations in testing which will be very important when you apply for same in law school, when you take the Multistate Professional ethics test, called the MPRE, and when in time you sit for the bar.

Okay, moving on, now your in law school, learning all the wonderful theory and taking your finals and scoring well. If your school has a clinical practice program, as St. Mary's does, you can be selected and admitted as a student attorney.  Not all law students either are selected or apply for this program, but I have found it to be a wonderful way to gain much needed experience before you are let loose upon the world.

So, what do I use...

I would say that Braille will be your friend if you have the skills.  Why? Because I found out the hard way.  You will not have time with Law professors breathing down your neck to scroll through spoken text looking for holdings of cases or if it mattered in the opinion one end of a telephone wire was higher than another in a case of ejectment.  The lectures are rapid fire, and you must be as good as the sighted class mates.  If speech is your thing, then go for it, but I never thought I'd use Braille in my life before law school.  Now I am doing all I can to build up my skills.

Next Westlaw and Lexis nexus are both accessible. Most of your research will be done on these two services.  When you argue your moot court case (something you will do your first year), I found it to be a help to summarize your full brief (written using jaws), in braille to bring with you for arguments.

I also use open book, but only to scan in notes and handouts given by professors who forget to give an electronic copy.  Most professors are very willing to give handouts in an accessible form, but you have to build up a relationship with them.  I have found that if you show your committed to the practice of law by reading your cases, considering the cases, always being ready for class, they will assist you.

Third for class Notes, taking them on a laptop using jaws, or if you have a Braille display, I found that to be a help because you can turn off speech and still keep track.  It was much quieter when I started using Braille as the primary form of access then when I was using speech in an ear bud.  Much easier to follow as I wasn't distracted by the speech covering up what the professor was saying.

Fourth, the reading of casebooks is the only hiccup.  Most of the publishers such as "Westlaw" publish their books in PDF format.  While JAWS can read this form, you will find that perhaps Microsoft Word is a better format to go with. Braille Textbooks are not readily available.  I have a person at the law school who converts each chapter into a separate Microsoft Word file and I read my assignments in this way.  Again, relationships and self-advocacy is key. Ask first, then argue why it is required.

Okay, so now you're a Student Attorney, ready to get out there and zealously advocate against the injustices your clients have suffered at the hands of social norms that care not for their well-being.

Again I use braille in court.  As an example, I went to court last week to prove up a divorce. (This is when you state to the court the reasons why the divorce should be granted, and prey (you will do loads of preying both in and out of the courtroom), the divorce is granted.

I printed my questions out in Braille, and also used index cards with braille labels so I could give what copy of what document to which party.  Copies of the decree, the affidavit of indigency, and so on.

Tell us more about yourself, and perhaps I can help through my own experience.  It is limited, but I have had wonderful support and guidance from the legal community, and want to pay it forward.

Best of luck to you in beginning your law school process.
Robert D. Dittman
Student Attorney
St. Mary's University, Center for Legal and Social Justice (Civil Clinic)
2507 N.W. 36th Street
San Antonio, TX  78228-3918
Phone: (210) 431-5760  fax: (210) 431-5700
Email: rdittman at mail.stmarytx.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail