[blindlaw] real estate stuff

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 19:41:45 UTC 2011

This is for those of you who practice in Virginia. I'm a Federal employee and I'm thinking about doing some parttime real estate stuff to earn a little extra money. Specifically, I'm thinking of doing some closings. There's a couple of CLE's from VACLE (one on terms of closing and one on common problems and how to avoid them.) I'm also thinking about doing one on easements and other topics. Furthermore, I plan to read a couple of chapters from the VACLE book on real estate.

I figure that if I like doing residential closings parttime, I'd maybe do some deed drafting. So, for those of you who do real estate, what is your advice? Should I do closings parttime? Title searches? Deed drafting? Any tips and suggestions you can give me (including any CLE or other sources to educate myself) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mike