[blindlaw] Research - Laywers with Losw Vision and Blindness

Paul Harpur paulharpur at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 04:22:15 UTC 2011

My name is Dr Paul Harpur and I am an legal academic at the TC Beirne
School of Law at the University of Queensland.  Being totally blind
and a guide dog user I am involved with advocating for law reforms
through both academic publications and through supporting advocacy
groups.  I would like to speak with people who have a university
qualification who are blind or have low vision about their experiences
at work.  I have been awarded a 3 year research grant to analyse the
rights of persons with disabilities at work.  To ensure my research
has an additional practical side I am working with the World Blind
Union to support their advocacy.
I am asking you to speak with me for about 45 minutes on your
telephone or via Skype.  You can choose to have your involvement kept
confidential if you like.
Essentially the data collection process will involve:
1.	Agreeing to speak with me.  I will then call you at a time that is
mutually convenient.  My e-mail is p.harpur at law.uq.edu.au  For the
academic work I will protect your confidentiality.  I will not include
information that enables you to be identified in any publication.  To
ensure this I will provide participants copies of any draft
publication that uses data they provided before I publish the paper.
If they feel there is any referrable material in the publication I
undertake to alter further anonymise the data.
2.	I will ask you if I can write a case study on your experiences for
the World Blind Union.  This project is separate to the university
project and the identities of participants would be disclosed.  If you
do not want a case study to be provided to the WBU then you can limit
your involvement to the confidential academic research.  If you do
agree to provide a case study to the WBU then I will write a draft of
the case study and provide it to you for their consideration.  The
case study is owned by you and you have total editorial discretion.
You can change it, delete it or whatever.

I can send you further information on my project or the World Blind
Union’s campaign.
In addition you maybe interested in visiting the World Blind Union’s
Right to Work Campaign at www.worldblindunion.org or Dr Paul Harpur’s
academic profile at
http://www.law.uq.edu.au/academic-staff/staff.php?nm=paulharpur

--

*Dr Paul Harpur*

BBus (HRM), LLB (Hons), LLM, PhD, Solicitor of the High Court of Australia

Post Doctorate Research Fellow, the TC Beirne School of Law, The University
of Queensland, on the project entitled “From Ratification to Implementation:
The Disability Human Rights Paradigm and the Right to Work in the Convention
on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities”.

Mob:    + 61 7 417 635 609

E-Mail: paulharpur at gmail.com

Skype:  paul.harpur