[blindlaw] [blind law] Private firms/Billable Hours

Daniel K. Beitz dbeitz at wiennergould.com
Tue May 17 14:46:16 UTC 2011

I got out of law school 18 years ago, so my opinions regarding new grads are
certainly not current.  I have worked in the private sector my entire
career, for four different law firms and on my own for several years.  When
I got my first job at a large Detroit firm, I had to interview with fifty
employers first.  I expected no help from any government agency, and got
none.  It can take an incredible amount of work.  However, in my opinion,
the best place to learn good legal skills is in the private sector, which is
much more competitive and demanding than I suspect government jobs may be.
Learning good habits and practices early in your career is essential, and a
private law firm is probably the best place to start your career if you can.
There is of course nothing wrong with a government job if you can get one.
However, in my brief experience as a contract employee of the government,
the demands, policies and procedures  appeared to be a bit less stringent.
This does not mean of course that there are not outstanding attorneys
working for Uncle Sam.  But a good dose of hard work satisfying private
clients at a firm will really push you to improve yourself professionally.
I remember working nights and weekends, working on cases with 10 or more
parties, and struggling mightily to understand the legal positions and
objectives of lots of different people with different interests.  If you can
get it, this kind of experience is invaluable.  The law is one of the most
demanding professional choices you can make, and your handicap means you had
better be fearless, relentless and really believe in yourself.

Daniel K. Beitz
Wienner & Gould, P.C.
950 University Dr., Ste. 350
Rochester, MI  48307
Phone:  (248) 841-9405
Fax:  (248) 652-2729
dbeitz at wiennergould.com

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email messages
attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution or use of any
of the information contained herein or attached to this email is strictly
prohibited.  Should you receive this communication in error, please notify
us immediately by replying to the sender of this email or by telephoning us
at (248) 841-9400.