[blindlaw] U.S. Attorney posting - South Florida

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 8 21:03:04 UTC 2011

Come to think of it, I've gone there and this is what I found:
***
ASSISTANT UNITED STATES ATTORNEY
UNITED STATES ATTORNEY'S OFFICE
SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA
Announcement Number 11-SDFL-AUSA-07 posted 11/8/11

Recruitment Efforts: We are currently seeking experienced civil litigators
to handle Civil Health Care Fraud and/or Affirmative Civil Enforcement cases
in our Miami Office.

About the Office: The United States Attorney's Office (USAO), Southern
District of Florida (SDFL), is seeking experienced attorneys to serve as
Assistant United States Attorneys in the Civil Division of one of the
largest USAOs in the nation. USAO/SDFL is a leader in the prosecution of
health care fraud, bank and other white collar frauds, narcotics offenses,
human trafficking cases, public corruption, and national security matters.
Divisions include: Appellate, Asset Forfeiture, Civil and Criminal. There
are also three branch offices located in Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and
Ft. Pierce.

Responsibilities and Opportunity Offered: The applicant selected will
primarily concentrate on Affirmative Civil Enforcement (ACE) cases and
matters. ACE litigation includes, but is not limited to: Health Care Fraud
(HCF); Qui Tam litigation; and Program Fraud or Program Enforcement
(mortgage fraud, federal grant fraud, etc.). The applicant selected will
work closely with federal and state law enforcement agents and auditors,
attorneys in the Commercial Litigation Branch of the Civil Division, Main
DOJ, and AUSAs in the Criminal Division of the USAO SD Florida. Applicants
must be able to work effectively as a team member, as well as independently.
Litigation experience such as taking depositions, conducting hearings and
trials, and a working knowledge of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and
Evidence are preferred. Fraud and False Claims Act cases handled by Civil
Division ACE AUSAs in the past year have resulted in collections on behalf
of the federal government of over $175 million. The applicant selected will
also be assigned some defensive cases and matters, but the majority of the
workload will be complex affirmative cases and matters. While the duty
station of the assigned ACE AUSA is in Miami, the AUSA will handle ACE/HCF
litigation in all offices within the Southern District of Florida.

Qualifications: Required qualifications: Applicants must possess a J.D.
degree, be an active member of the bar (any jurisdiction), and have at least
1 year post-J.D. experience.

Preferred qualifications: Preferred applicants will possess superior oral
and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills;
have demonstrated capacity to function, with minimal guidance, in a highly
demanding environment. Additionally, it is desired that the successful
candidate have strong academic credentials and at least three years of post
J.D. experience.

Travel: Some travel may be necessary.

Salary Information: Assistant United States Attorneys' pay is
administratively determined based, in part, on the number years of
professional attorney experience. The current recruiting range of pay is up
to $155,400 including locality pay.

Location: Miami, Florida.

Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses will not be authorized.

Application Process and Deadline Date: Cover letter, resume and writing
sample may be submitted by e-mail to USAFLS-AUSAResumes at usdoj.gov

OR by mail to the following address:

United States Attorney's Office
Southern District of Florida
Attention: Attorney Recruitment
99 N.E. 4th Street
Miami, Fl 33132

No telephone calls please. Announcement is open until 11/22/11.

Internet Sites: The home page for the U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern
District of Florida, may be accessed at: http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/fls/

This and other attorney vacancy announcements can be found at:
http://www.usdoj.gov/oarm/attvacancies.html

Department Policies: Assistant United States Attorneys generally must reside
in the district to which he or she is appointed. See 28 U.S.C. § 545 for
district-specific information.

All initial attorney appointments to the Department of Justice are made on a
time-limited (temporary) basis. Temporary appointments may, or may not, be
extended or made permanent without further competition.

The U.S. Department of Justice is an Equal Opportunity/Reasonable
Accommodation Employer. Except where otherwise provided by law, there will
be no discrimination because of color, race, religion, national origin,
politics, marital status, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, status
as a parent, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on
the basis of personal favoritism. The Department of Justice welcomes and
encourages applications from persons with physical and mental disabilities.
The Department is firmly committed to satisfying its affirmative obligations
under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, to ensure that persons with
disabilities have every opportunity to be hired and advanced on the basis of
merit within the Department of Justice. This agency provides reasonable
accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need
a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring
process, please notify the agency. Determinations on requests for reasonable
accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.

It is the policy of the Department to achieve a drug-free workplace and
persons selected for employment will be required to pass a drug test which
screens for illegal drug use prior to final appointment. Employment is also
contingent upon the completion and satisfactory adjudication of a background
investigation. Only U.S. citizens are eligible for employment with the
Executive Office for Immigration Review and the United States Attorneys'
Offices. Unless otherwise indicated in a particular job advertisement,
non-U.S. Citizens may apply for employment with other organizations, but
should be advised that appointments of non-U.S. Citizens are extremely rare;
such appointments would be possible only if necessary to accomplish the
Department's mission and would be subject to strict security requirements.
Applicants who hold dual citizenship in the U.S. and another country will be
considered on a case-by-case basis.

There is no formal rating system for applying veterans' preference to
attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Department of
Justice considers veterans' preference eligibility as a positive factor in
attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veterans' preference must include
that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting
documentation (e.g., the DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from
Active Duty and other supporting documentation) to their submissions.
Although the "point" system is not used, per se, applicants eligible to
claim 10-point preference must submit Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for
10-Point Veteran Preference, and submit the supporting documentation
required for the specific type of preference claimed (visit the OPM website,
http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf for a copy of SF 15, which lists
the types of 10-point preferences and the required supporting documents).
Applicants should note that SF 15 requires supporting documentation
associated with service-connected disabilities or receipt of
nonservice-connected disability pensions to be dated 1991 or later except in
the case of service members submitting official statements or retirement
orders from a branch of the Armed Forces showing that his or her retirement
was due to a permanent service-connected disability or that he/she was
transferred to the permanent disability retired list (the statement or
retirement orders must indicate that the disability is 10% or more).

* * *

The Department of Justice cannot control further dissemination and/or
posting of information contained in this vacancy announcement. Such posting
and/or dissemination is not an endorsement by the Department of the
organization or group disseminating and/or posting the information.