[blindlaw] Pennsylvania guide dog law

Greg Care gpc at browngold.com
Mon Oct 24 17:31:56 UTC 2011

Someone recently asked about any Pennsylvania laws regarding guide dogs. Pennsylvania has split up its "White Cane Law" into different parts of the statutory code, so the part dealing with access to places of public accommodation while accompanied by a service animal is pasted below. Please note that this is a criminal law, enforced by the local prosecutor. Because I am not licensed to practice in Pennsylvania, I'm afraid that I can't be of greater assistance on this.

Title 18 - Crimes and Offenses § 7325.  Discrimination on account of guide, signal or service dog or other aid animal.

A person is guilty of a summary offense if he, being the proprietor, manager or employee of a theatre, hotel, restaurant or other place of public accommodation, entertainment or amusement, refuses, withholds or denies any person, who is using a guide, signal or service dog or other aid animal that has been certified by a recognized authority to assist a person, because of the physical disability, blindness or deafness of the user, or who is training a guide, signal or support dog or other aid animal for or from a recognized authority for such a user, the use of or access to any accommodation, advantage, facility or privilege of such theatre, hotel, restaurant or other place of public entertainment or amusement.

Gregory P. Care
Brown, Goldstein & Levy, LLP
120 E. Baltimore Street
Suite 1700
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Phone:  410-962-1030 ext. 1316
Fax:  410-385-0869
gpc at browngold.com<mailto:gpc at browngold.com>
www.browngold.com<http://www.browngold.com/>

Confidentiality Notice

This e-mail may contain confidential information that may also be legally privileged and that is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized agent of the recipient, please be advised that any dissemination or copying of this e-mail, or taking of any action in reliance on the information contained herein, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by use of the reply button, and then delete the e-mail from your system.  Thank you!