[blindlaw] Discriminating Signs

Leslie Fairall fairall at shellworld.net
Sun Sep 11 22:02:35 UTC 2011

Hello:

I have moved to the state of Rhode Island to take another position. I'm
renting a single family residence and have lived here for a month.

To my horror, the town of Cranston has erected a sign that says "blind
person" directly across the street from my home. I would not have known
this if a friend of mine who picks me up for church hadn't told me. It is
a bright yellow sign with black lettering.

I will be contacting City Hall both by phone and in writing to have the
sign removed. I have a few questions.

1. Would this be considered discrimination under the Americans with
Disabilities or some other act?
2. Is singling out a person because of disability a form of
discrimination? My knee-jerk reaction is yes, but I want to get the facts
straight.
3. What is a reasonable timeframe to request that the sign be removed? In
my rough draft, I stated seven days.

4. Are their any other points I should make that would strongly encourage
them to remove the sign?

Thanks for any and all advice.