[blindlaw] leagle word please define

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 27 22:30:37 UTC 2012

Hi, Shannon and list.

Et al simply means "and others." As one of the responsive postings implies,
et al is not strictly a legal term, although it is often used in court
pleadings and other legal documents as a kind of shorthand to avoid writing
a long litany of parties to a law suit or other legal process, just as this
latin phrase is often used for a similar purpose in other nonlegal contexts,
such as the authors of a book or magazine article.

As for sources for listing and defining legal terms, there are specialty
dictionaries specializing in legal terminology, of which Black's Law
Dictionary is among the best known. I believe there are also add-on legal
dictionaries available for MS-Office applications.
HTH and best regards,
Rob Tabor Esq.