[blindlaw] Research and screen readers

Jeckel, Christopher CJECKEL at LAW.JMLS.EDU
Tue Dec 11 16:16:14 UTC 2012

Hey Gang,

So the tech support folks at G.W. Micro have explained to me that the function on WindowEyes which allows a user to hover the mouse over text for audio feedback will most likely not be compatible with most online browsers in a few years.  Reason being is because of the new way Microsoft is writing code for windows.  The program will still work fine, just not with the hover function.  What this means for me and other partially sighted WindowEyes users is that we will have to learn how to use WindowEyes or Jaws only using the key commands, hot keys etc.

My question for you all is when doing legal research, have you found any particular combination of Jaws or WindowEyes with Lexis or WestLaw to be the most efficient?  Do you find one legal database easier to navigate with a screen reader than the other using key commands, hot keys, etc.?

Love you guys,
Chris