[blindlaw] Refusal To Use A Cane

Mark BurningHawk stone_troll at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 16 14:59:06 UTC 2012

If the person in question had some sort of ethical or moral difference with cane use, this would be much more supportable.  I, too, have ethical or personal / social issues with a white cane, but I would never refuse to use one.  I hope that, should the person choose to use a different COLOR of cane, he will not be subject to this ostracization.  I am glad that a dog was also included multiple times in the original post, as I remember a lot of bias against dogs in past times, and I'm glad to see that apparently not there as much.  However, the reasoning that a cane will somehow cause seizures is, as was nicely put, horse hockey. :)  Sending him home, even telling him what he *had* to do in terms of cane use, or couching it as an "You're setting a bad example for other blind people," argument, though, I feel, will be less than useful.

Mark BurningHawk
Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
Home page:  Http://MarkBurningHawk.net/