[blindlaw] Accessibility of Document Management Software

Farber, Randy rfarber at jw.com
Wed Feb 8 16:23:48 UTC 2012

Gerard -

	I am aware of two different document management systems.  One is by Hummingbird and is called DocsOpen or DM depending on the version. The other is called Imanage.

	First, you should note that these systems are tailored to each firm and so the implementation and human interaction can be quite different from firm to firm.

	I have found that both systems are useable, but it takes a significant amount of time and effort on your part to learn them and their quirks.  Also, you will need to have someone work with you to set-up organize your screens so that they are more efficient.   For example, our firm set-up the screens so that the document number was first on each line.  I found it more efficient for the document name to be the first information.

	As you find out more about which system your firm will use, I might be able to give you some pointers.  We just switched from an old implementation of Hummingbird DM to Imanage.

Randy
713-752-4241