[blindlaw] Self-driving car, NPR story

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 17 17:13:17 UTC 2012

Please remember that so long as human intervention is possible to
extricate a self driving car from an improper decision it made, sighted
people will insist on the qualification of sight to be an operator --
that is, unless, the blind have demonstrated their ability to safely
direct a vehicle in ways beyond entering a destination address.  The
Google cars in question did have humans available to intervene.  Unless
we have demonstrated the ability, we will not be given the right.

Cordially,
Bill