[blindlaw] Billable hours and reasonable accommodation

Farber, Randy rfarber at jw.com
Sun Jul 15 18:15:54 UTC 2012

Elizabeth -

	When  it comes to billables, there are two places that the statistics are important.  First, they show-up on the invoice to your client.  I always review the invoices and bill based on what I believe is competitive.  Therefore, I often write off some of the time I bill.  Not because I am blind, but because I do not believe that the invoice is competitive in the market.

		The second place where billables are important is in your compensation as an associate (as opposed to a partner where it is the cash that is important).  My recommendation is to write down all the hours you work, and let the billing attorney decide what should be billed.  If you are solo or in a small firm, you may be both the working attorney and the billing attorney.  In which case, I still have the same advise.  You will want to be able to keep track of how many hours you are spending on a task, even if you are not billing the entire time.

Feel free to contact me off list if you would like to discuss this issue in a lawfirm setting.

Randy