[blindlaw] Re Witnessing documents as blind lawyer

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 29 22:02:02 UTC 2012

I think one should first look carefully at one's state statutes regarding
documents that must be witnessed: Wills, deeds, etc., to see what makes them
valid or invalid.  It might be that one doesn't need even to see the
document signed, but only to have, e.g. the testator, grantor, etc. say in
your presence that the signature is his or hers.

And there's always a little theatre in lawyering, I think.  If you're
worried about how it will look to your client to have a blind person
witnessing a document, why not have a notary public there, with all her
seals and affidavits, to acknowledge the signature, with you and whomever
else to sign off as witnesses?  It might not be legally required to make
your document valid, but could put the client's and your own mind at rest.
And there's nothing to being made a notary, so your secretary could serve
that function, with no extra cost to your client.  This is with the caveat
that my words aren't legal advice, and, as Bill Handle always says on his
radio show, "worth every cent you paid for it!"

Elizabeth