[blindlaw] blindness and retirement benefits

Albrektson, David M CIV 70, FFSC david.albrektson at navy.mil
Mon Mar 19 19:05:37 UTC 2012

Good afternoon, hoping you may be able to answer a question.

I'm 62 and doing some retirement planning.
I'm blind and except for receiving SSI benefits for a couple years in my early 20s following diagnosis of blindness, I've managed to remain fully employed through the years.

My question is this:  In addition to the standard Social Security benefits for which I'll be eligible when I retire, will I be eligible  to receive additional payments from Social Security due to my blindness?

I'm trying to anticipate where my income will come from once I'm no longer earning a paycheck.  Hope my question is clear - thanks for any info/guidance you may have to offer.

Dave A.