[blindlaw] FW: Birding for the Blind Event April 2012

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/OSORA) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Mon Mar 26 12:15:50 UTC 2012

From: Amy_Shoop at fws.gov [mailto:Amy_Shoop at fws.gov]
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:42 PM
Cc: Nell_Baldacchino at fws.gov
Subject: Birding for the Blind Event April 2012

Hello Everyone,

Want to introduce your visually impaired students or clients to more outdoor activities?  Here is a great event where visually impaired individuals can learn to explore birding by ear as an independent hobby!  I am sending this email in hopes that you will pass along this information to your visually impaired clients or students with an interest in nature.  Overall, the program focuses on teaching the sounds, shape and size of local birds through tactlie exploration and auditory experiences.  This exciting hands on morning begins with participants riding on an all electric tram through various habitats (wetlands, meadows, & forests) on the Patuxent Research Refuge listening for bird calls with experts on hand identifying and answering questions.  Then proceeds to a tactile experience in which participants can feel actual bird mounts to determine size and shape of many local birds from owls to songbirds. Participants can register at 301-497-5887.

We have done this program for the last few years and we are hoping to spread the word.  We are reaching out to ask if you would please take a moment to send or give this announcement out to clients/students you feel may be interested and to encourage them to come if interested.   Please feel free to call me at 301-497-5776 with questions.

We will gladly provide printed flyers for your establishment.  Just respond with a good mailing address.

Please call or email with any additional questions.  Thank you for your support and suggestions!

We sincerely hope that you see this opportunity as a valuable one.

Thanks so much!

Amy Shoop
Park Ranger
Patuxent Research Refuge