[blindlaw] ExamSoft

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 19:30:58 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am retaking the Washington State Bar Exam after a long break from the
practice of Law.  When I passed it the first time in 1980, the idea of using
text-to-speech software on a computer was a dream of the future.  For me,
anyway.

My bar association requires its laptop-using examinees to register with
ExamSoft, Inc., and use their software product, SoftTest, to isolate their
essay answers from anything else on their machines that might allow them to
cheat.  My understanding is that exam questions must be accessed, and

Some Internet research I've already done on this subject shows me that many
or most law schools are using SoftTest for their exams now.  My quick
overview of ExamSoft's Web site hasn't come up with any information from
them on accessibility or ADA awareness.

Has anyone written a law school or bar exam using SoftTest with JAWS or with
Apple's VoiceOver?

I'm asking about both speech applications because I have to upgrade from an
older JAWS version to JAWS 13 Pro to access my BARBRI bar review
applications and to be job-ready after the exam, and because I can get an
iBook, right now,  with VoiceOver already running, for the price of JAWS
alone.  Apparently, SoftTest runs on Windows 7 and OS 10.

It's likely that the WSBA might exempt me from using SoftTest on ADA
grounds, but I'd rather not ask for an unnecessary accommodation.

PS: I raised this question about a month or so ago from my iPhone, but
wasn't registered here from that address.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Elizabeth Rene