[blindlaw] Update from Senator on my application to serve as a JAG.

Mike Fry mikefry79 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 22:43:30 UTC 2012

Your arguments are well thought out and reasoned.  If you take a step back to look at the bigger picture however it may appear that your request is unreasonable.  Your asking to allow a disabled person to become active duty military.  What would be the ramifications of establishing that kind of precedent?  It seems like a real up hill fight.  Are you sure it's worth it?  I think it is disgusting that some of the most rewarding and easiest professions - like military, cop, firefighter, nurse, etc - are closed off to disabled people.  You have an excellent point - the military is saying that a person who became disabled in service is somehow better than a person with a pre-existing disability even though objectively the ability level of both people is the same.  That's not fair.  Theres so much unfair about being disabled.  Not to be a downer but some times I think disabled people are the last truly unfortunate souls left in the rich world.  I hope you win.  The military shouldn't get away with this unfair practice.  Regrettably the only reasonable equitable outcome is that all the disabled vets should be discharged from active duty.  Applying inequitable subjective standards with tax payer money is not right.

Sent from my iPad