[blindlaw] Pro Tem lists

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 4 04:06:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,

A good friend and member of my local bar has suggested that when I pass the
February Bar I should get myself placed on my municipal, county, and
superior court lists of judges pro tempore.  He suggests it's a good way to
keep sharp on the law & rules of evidence, to get back into court and into
the swim of the legal community, and to make some money until I land the
permanent work I want.

How many of you all have served as pro tem judges?

I did it once a long time ago, presiding in small claims court during my
vacation from duties as an assistant city prosecutor.  It was really scary
to do, but fun!

For those of us who have felt frustrated about the selective placement
program in the federal government & rue the possibility of having to take
policy jobs rather than be in court, maybe serving as a pro tem judge might
be a good stopgap measure.  Maybe one could discover that the bench is where
life begins, and find a whole new career path.

Just my two cents worth.

Happy November.

Elizabeth