[blindlaw] graduation soon

Michael Fry mikefry79 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 06:47:27 UTC 2012

Congratulations, Robert.  That's a tremendous accomplishment.

I hope that you are sucessful in your quest to become a reserve JAG.
Hopefully your efforts will get more people thinking about this disparte
treatment.  A person that acquires a disability after enlistment may serve
(and receive amazing benefits such as salary, gaurenteed employment,
housing, healtcare, and the opportunity to live around the world, all paid
for by tax payers) but a person who has a disability before enlistment is
automatically inelgible to serve.

Here's why this disparte treatment seems wrong.  Both classes of people
have the same level of disability.  Both classes are functionally the
same.  But one class is statutorily inelgible to sereve because of the way
they were born.

That is not equal protection under the law and the discrimination is being
perpetuated by the Federal goverment.  So, there better be a compelling
reason for the discrimination.

I'd like to hear the military answer these questions in an appeallate
brief.  What are the compelling reasons why someone who becomes disabled
after enlistment is still fit for active-duty service?  Why don't those
reasons equally apply to persons disabled before attempted enlistment?  Why
is that justification compelling?