[blindlaw] Re postings for uncompensated US Attorney positions

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 4 05:00:40 UTC 2012

Ross, I too want to thank you for all of the postings you've submitted.  The
uncompensated positions are valuable even though they don't come with a
paycheck.

In my view, it's much better to be working while looking for a paying job
than to be staying home writing one more résumé.  A new law graduate can be
learning what practice is really like, can develop professional skills and
office poise, can make contacts and cultivate references from people who can
evaluate real performance, and can begin to discern what balance and habits
might be needed to maintain a happy personal and professional life.  Sure,
the money would be better.  But lawyers don't get many chances to emulate
medical interns and practice under the supervision of veterans before taking
full responsibility for their work.  This kind of job might not be for
everyone, but it shouldn't be ruled out.

Thanks again,

Elizabeth