[blindlaw] Medical Record Review

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 3 21:07:39 UTC 2012

Hello Kendrick:
Regarding the review of medical records -  I reviewed a massive amount of
them while practicing law in Medicaid benefits work for about 5 years, so
Yes, I hear you and feel your pain.
The way I did it was to have a reader reading me the material while being
careful to speak aloud dates and page numbers etc for what she was reading,
because I was taking my own notes on my laptop while I was recording the
session on my digital recorder.
I transferred the digital file to my computer and could review things when I
wished to do so.
It isn't free, as it is for those who are sighted, and you need a good
reader to do this, but it does give you control and review capability of the
material.
The caveat I note here is the obvious one - I reviewed medical records for
Medicaid benefits for durable medical equipment, EPSDT and adult benefits in
Medicaid, and after a while you learn what to look for in the records, so
you can shorten things up that need to be read significantly.
I had the same reader for 5 years, so I got to the point of being able to
talk shorthand to her  and she knew what to look for. IE: training and
experience of a reader to maximize leveraging your reader.
There is a training/experience curve for a reader if you're going to do
things the way I did, but it does pay off.
And, in anticipation of the ansilary question, I did not pass any of that
reader cost on to the client. I ate it.
I am not insensitive to the differences between what you do in P.I. work and
what I used to do. But I hope that you can draw some value from my
experience.
Ross Doerr