[blindlaw] The ADA in churches

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 4 19:39:32 UTC 2012

Perhaps there needs to be a registry or web site listing those churches
and denominations that discriminate against their "ministers" based on
racism, sexism, actual or perceived disability, or sexual orientation.
Society has an interest in the proper education of bigotry-free children
and funds such education through tax-supported vouchers, aid to parents,
or government contracts. Some municipalities offer things such as free
water and other utilities, free or reduced-cost meeting space, free
police protection at large events and the ability to serve alcohol, and
other privileges they aren't required to offer all comers. Private
donors and foundations also have an interest in the character, biases,
and practices of those they choose to fund. Such a registry or web site
could be a valuable first stop for those about to support those who
mistreat their ministers on those bases. The leadership of the
rapidly-shrinking flocks will remain free to act out their prejudices
within the ministerial exception.

Cordially,
Bill