[blindlaw] Re the ADA in churches

Daniel McBride dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 8 01:06:13 UTC 2012

Elizabeth:

In principle, I believe your view to be correct.  However, in the instance
being discussed, one's first amendment priveleges can be waived just as any
other.

It is my opinion that any religious institution that accepts federal funds,
for any reason, waives their first amendment privileges; it comes with the
territory of taking the money.

Also, I know that all 501(c)(3) non-profits, including religious
institutions, are subject to having their first amendment privileges
curtailed.  For example, somewhere around 2007, a Methodist church in Los
Angeles had a visiting pastor one weekend that spoke vociferously against
the Iraq war.  For doing so, they had their non-profit status revoked and
were made to pay their previous year's taxes that had been exempted.

Also, a man named Texe Marrs runs a Christian ministry in Austin, Texas
called Power of Prophecy.  Mr. Marrs also has a weekly radio broadcast in
which he discusses politics regularly.  In the early 2000s, he was visited
by the IRS and had his non-profit status revoked and made to pay past exempt
taxes.

So, in some circumstances, your first amendment privileges can be restricted
simply by becoming a 501(c)(3).

There is not a single privilege delineated within the Constitution that
cannot be waived.  Also, forget not, that all of said privileges can be
revoked under the thirteenth amendment.

Dan McBride
Fort Worth, Texas