[blindlaw] Re paper docs at a hearing

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Tue Sep 18 18:43:23 UTC 2012

I have used a hand-held "standard" magnifier, a KNFB, and a hand-held
video magnifier in court (criminal / juvenile delinquency).  At the
moment, I am trying out a program on my iPad, which seems to give me a
better view of the entire page for filling out forms that are necessary
to our file system.  While I can't say any of it is as easy or
comfortable as when I could still read on my own, with only
glasses/contacts, each has its place.

The biggest issue is the speed at which juvenile court necessarily has
to move, coupled with the failure of the prosecution to get disclosure
to our office in a timely manner (before the hearing) so that it can be
properly scanned.  That, and the fact that the size of the courtroom
make both the magnification and spoken programs (even with an earpiece)
a huge hazard to client confidentiality.