[blindlaw] law library accessibility

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Fri Apr 12 14:44:12 UTC 2013

Dear Mr. McBride:

I think it would be unfair to recommend a particular screen reader over the
other.  If you recommend Jaws, and I walk into the said library desiring to
use NVDA, there will be a problem.  The librarian will assume that I am a
Jaws user just like you when in fact this may not be true.  As such, whereas
the library will be accessible to you, it will remain largely inaccessible
to me.

If you are able to load your screen reader of choice on a USB flash drive, I
believe that requesting access to the library's computer using the screen
reader loaded on your USB flash drive will be the best approach.  My
understanding with respect to Jaws though is that a copy of Jaws does have
to be installed on the particular computer to be used in order for the
portable version on a USB flash drive to work.  If this is correct, perhaps,
for temporary use only, you may need to investigate NVDA, System Access to
Go, and Window-Eyes!

Of the three screen readers suggested above, Window-Eyes may require the
installation of a video driver on the computer in question before the
portable version on a USB flash drive would work.  NVDA, however, DOES NOT
rely on video driver hooks, and, if memory serves, I believe that System
Access To Go can be used directly off the Internet.

As you can see sire, no one method fits the bill.  Not all blind individuals
use Jaws and, if the goal is to make the library's computer accessible to
other blind atorneys or paralegals in your area, the considerations outlined
herein do become necessary evils!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado