[blindlaw] Guardianship practice

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 20 03:34:57 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Just wanted to pass along an interesting bit of information about an area of
practice I'd known nothing about, with the suggestion that you, too, might
find it intriguing.

Last week, I attended a two-day CLE seminar put on by my county bar
association to certify applicants for the superior court's guardian ad litem
registry.  By statute, lawyers and qualified nonlawyers can register to be
appointed by the court to serve as guardians ad litem (GALS).  GALS,
operating within the terms of their appointing court order, are authorized
and empowered to investigate the merits of petitions for the guardianship of
"alleged incapacitated persons" (read "vulnerable adults") in the best
interests of that person, to recommend the appointment of a guardian or some
other less restrictive intervention, to support or veto the petitioner's
guardian nominee, to recommend a certified professional guardian independent
of the family, or to support or qualify the wishes of the alleged
incapacitated person, given the relevant facts.  GALS can get help in the
administration of these duties from the court commissioner by requesting
further formal instructions re their appointing order, and their role ends
when the court determines what to do.

Lawyers can serve as GALS, as certified professional guardians (CPG's) who
are also trained and appointed by the court, or they can represent the
alleged incapacitated  person, who has the right to counsel in any
guardianship proceeding.

Whether a GAL, a CPG, or an appointed attorney, the lawyer serving in this
practice gets paid an hourly rate, by the court if the person involved has
limited means, or by the alleged incapacitated person whose wealth permits
private payment--but the rate is determined by the court to prevent
exploitation.  The nonlawyer GAL or CPG is paid in the same way.

GAL appointments are short-term, the work is intense, and the deadlines are
tight.  But a sentient GAL could do a lot to help a vulnerable adult keep
his dignity while shielding him from self-destruction or staving off the
clutches of greedy relatives.  GALS are mandated in Washington to take the
least custodial path to this end.

Other kinds of guardians ad litem serve the courts, e.g. in family law
custody or child dependency proceedings, or adoptions.  These, I understand,
take their authority from other statutes.

Seems to me that those of us who write to this list could be particularly
attuned to the kinds of issues that might arise in guardianship proceedings,
and especially suited to assess the best interests of someone thought by
others to have less than full capacities.  I think this because of our own
commitment to self-determination.

Every state appoints guardians.  Most likely, every state court appoints
guardians ad litem to help determine whether a guardianship should be
established.  Some states may have established standards for this, others
may not.

But those of us able blind lawyers who are looking to round out a practice,
or who are wondering what to do until full-time employment comes, might want
to think about whether some guardianship work might help to keep the wolf
away from our own doors, and the lion from somebody else's.

Good luck.

Elizabeth