[blindlaw] A different view of Driverless cars

Sy Hoekstra sy.hoekstra at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 02:20:29 UTC 2013

Agreed.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindlaw [mailto:blindlaw-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Michael Fry
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 9:53 PM
To: Blind Law Mailing List
Subject: Re: [blindlaw] A different view of Driverless cars

I have been so excited about the Google self-driving car and others like
it.  I have been eagerly anticipating this technology for at least five
years.  Ross, I could not agree with you more.  We, the visually impaired
community, should have a loud voice in this debate.  This is technology
that could literally transform our lives.  Our compelling interest in
seeing this technology come to the market as quickly and safely as possible
gives us a strong and credible voice that should resonate in the debate.
I think the NFB should actively start lobbying for blind people to be able
to use self-driving cars when they come to market.  My strong suspicion is
that the technology is safe and effective but hasn't been approved because
of entrenched government regulations that are serving to stifle this
technology rather than keep us safe.  The sad fact is that the regulators
in charge of approving this technology have no interest, desire, or benefit
in considering our need to be able to use this stuff quickly.

http://www.wbur.org/npr/212683617/hitting-the-road-without-a-driver?ft=3&f=2

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindlaw_nfbnet.org/mikefry79%40gmail.com