[blindlaw] Being unable to see relevant evidence in a legal case

amy a amynick100 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 12:35:43 UTC 2013

Hello, everyone,

I am new to this mailing list.  As a person exploring the field
of law, I have a question about an obstacle blind people run
into.

How can you be a fair judge, jury member, or similar professional
when you cannot see relevant evidence?  By evidence, I mean
visual indicators, such as a video of a robbery, but I am also
referring to cues such as witnesses' facial expressions and body
language.  I am mainly using examples relating to criminal law
here, but only because I know that the best, and it is the first
thing I can think of.  Feel free to refer to other types of law
when answering if it is relevant.

I read the thread from September 2012, "Handling paper docs at
hearings" written by someone named Paul.  (If I am misquoting, I
am sorry.)  Anyway, the general consensus was that blind people
who are doing hearings require visual readers for the documents.
However, I am talking about the case of a judge or jury member.
>From what I know about law, which is not much, I assume that one
can correctly argue that if someone merely describes the evidence
for you, and you do not see it for yourself, it is only hearsay,
and the fact that you cannot directly see the evidence means that
nothing was proven "beyond a reasonable doubt".  Are there people
who go to law school to become readers and describers for blind
judges and jurors, so that what they describe can count as
legally admissible evidence?

When answering my question, please keep in mind that I have no
official legal training whatsoever.  Therefore, please avoid too
many technical terms that I might not be familiar with.
Furthermore, if this topic has been discussed previously, and it
probably has, I am sorry to repeat it, but I was honestly too
lazy to figure out how to search the archive.

Thank you all so much in advance for your time, consideration,
effort, and comments.

All the best,

Amy