[blindlaw] accessibility of USA jobs

Deepa Goraya deepa.goraya at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 14:55:51 UTC 2013

A visiting attorney means I'm on loan there for now, unless they can
get outside funding to hire me which they are trying to do. I'm
volunteering there right now part-time in addition to my part-time job
somewhere else.

Info About the Washington Lawyers' Committee:

The Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs,
a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was established in 1968 to
provide pro bono legal services to address discrimination and
entrenched poverty in the Washington, DC community.

>From its inception in 1968, the mission of the Washington Lawyers’
Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs has been to mobilize the
resources of the private bar to address issues of civil rights
violations and poverty in our community.

Over the past 45 years, the Committee’s efforts and programs have
expanded from a small staff focused primarily on issues of racial
discrimination into a far larger organization providing pro bono
representation in a broad range of civil rights and related poverty
issues impacting every group protected by our federal, state and local
civil rights laws.

The Committee’s active litigation docket of more than 100 matters
includes individual cases and class actions, as well as other larger
law reform cases. It also includes a significant focus on public
policy advocacy.

Today, the Committee operates specific projects focused on:
•Employment rights
•Fair housing and lending
•Public accommodations
•Immigrant & refugee rights
•Disability rights
•DC prisoners’ rights
•Public education

In addition to these project areas, the Committee plays a leadership
role in other key urban community initiatives:
•General: Pursuing cases involving civil rights violations outside our
core areas, including police misconduct and racial profiling.
•DC Public School Partnership Program: Facilitating partnerships
between law firms and individual DC public schools.
•Introduction to Legal Reasoning: Sponsoring intensive 6-week course
for minority students preparing to enter DC-area law schools.
•Haitian Relief and Recovery Project: Providing legal research and
support to nonprofits working on relief and recovery efforts in Haiti.

The Washington Lawyers’ Committee executes its mission by leveraging
its own broad expertise with the resources of DC’s private bar to
effect positive change in the community.

www.washlaw.org