[blindlaw] Smart Phone article of interest

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Sat Jul 20 15:29:00 UTC 2013

The link below is for an article about smart phone plans, and it raises a
fascinating legal issue. To be fair, it is an issue that is not exclusively
a blindness or low vision issue. For that very reason an opportunity to
change it  may be a better one than if it was presented as strictly a
"blind" issue.
As you listen to it, note two interesting things - first, on a regular cell
phone plan that you sign up for two years with, the cost of the smart phone
you didn't pay "up front" is a part of you monthly bill. So, if that is so,
as the two interviewers say, why doesn't that "cell phone payment" part of
your monthly bill get dropped after the phone is paid off?
Second, you can rent a smart phone and pay for it until you want what they
bill as a "free" upgrade to a newer phone. As the interviewer points out,
aren't you paying for the same phone twice?
So, for those of you who are contracts or transactional attorneys - is that
legal? How can they charge all of us out here twice for the same thing?
I will openly confess my lack of legal expertise on such an issue, my
practice focus is on disability specific laws and regulations, so I would
like to know what others have to say on the matter.
By the way, if you have a "dumb phone" like I do, isn't it handled the same
way? Did I pay for my motorola twice?

WBUR radio article
	New Smartphone Upgrade Plans Can Be Costly In The Long Run
http://www.wbur.org/npr/203683450/new-smartphone-upgrade-plans-can-be-costly
-in-the-long-run
When you get the WBUR website up, scroll down to the "play" button that
should appear directly under the author of the article and click on it.
Interesting, isn't it.

Ross A. Doerr Esq.
Visit my blog at:
http://journeyblind.blogspot.com/