[blindlaw] Washington State Bar Exam in Braille

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 4 19:04:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I have just become the first person in
Washington State to be given the bar exam in Braille.  It was wonderful!

The bar association contracted with a Braille translation firm to produce
the questions under secure conditions, and the Braille quality was
excellent.

The difference for me between taking the exam in Braille and trying to read
it in large type last summer was immeasurable.

Washington's exam consisted of 18 essay questions in substantive law and 6
in legal ethics.  Starting in July, the WSBA will administer the Uniform Bar
Exam, with its multistate components plus essays.

Washington had never tested in Braille before, but did a fine job.

That ought to mean that any state can do it.

Good luck to everyone preparing to take your bar exams!

Elizabeth