[blindlaw] Federal ALJ Exam

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 8 20:23:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I just tried to link to the website listed in this issue's announcement and
found the USAJobs page closed.  But I then used my iPhone to find the same
thing, searching for "USA Jobs Administrative Law Judge," and was taken
right to the spot.  I also got an armload of other information about this
position, the exam, and its history by searching "Federal ALJ Exam."  Highly
recommended reading.

One good thing about this new register and exam is that all timely
applications will be considered.  In the past, the register would close on
the day of the submission of the 900th application, whenever that occurred.

A couple of  other caveats:

You have to have completed a full seven years of active litigation practice.
This is described on the announcement, as well as non-qualifying experience.

Also, your license has to be active at the time you apply, throughout the
application process, and while your name remains on the register of
successful examinees.

 The exam includes an in-person interview by a "panel of experts" in
Washington D.C., and a performance exam, before that, in either San
Francisco, Chicago, or a third location I've already forgotten.  The
announcement is exhaustive, and every detail counts.

Applicants must choose among the vacancy locations listed on the
announcement to qualify for the register.  AS I recall, the locations posted
this time are Santa Barbara, Cal., Denver, Col, Hartford, Conn., and Miami
or Tampa, Florida.  But other registers can include U.S. territories, e.g.
Puerto Rico.

Even though I meet the experience qualifications, I won't be in the running
for this register because my current bar exam scores won't come in,
(assuming I pass!) until late April, and  formal readmission won't happen
until some time in May.  The absolute deadline for these Federal ALJ
applications is March 15.  That's next Friday.

The application is long and complicated, and is supposed to take the average
person at least one full day.

But the job itself, the salary and benefits, and apparently great job
security, may make the work and stress connected with the process well worth
the effort, especially for veterans, who get 5 to 10 extra points.  The
minimum score is 60 out of 100.

I hope one of us undertakes this, and gets hired.

Good luck.

Elizabeth