[blindlaw] Powerpoint answer

Paul Harpur paulharpur at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 19:08:04 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Ever had trouble using Power Point as a presenter using a screen reader?  I
thought list members might find the suggestion by our IT person golden.

I used to put my material in the notes section and try to flick around.
Then Vu, the IT person, pointed out that I don't need to make the text
visible.  The text for the audience needs to be black writing on a white
background.  But does my notes need to be in black?  No.  If I put my notes
in white on a white background then the audience cannot see them.  I
obviously use a screen reader that reads the white on white text no worries!
A few tips:

.         Put the notes at size font 1.  This enables lots of text to be
included without distorting the look of the page.

.         Make two copies.  Make a presenter's version with notes and an
audience copy without notes.  This enables you to upload or distribute the
slides without the risk some smart arse will highlight and change the colour
of the writing and see all your notes.

Have a great strong and high five to IT Vu.